Sunday, November 06, 2005

If I Was Your Tour Guide in Banff!

We would arrive in Banff and immediately hike Suphur Mountain. It is not too long (maybe 2 hours), we'd have lunch and then we would take the Gondola down. (If you ride up its 20$CAN, if you ride down its free.) On the ride down or during the hike I would tell you about the sulphur hot pools that you can go in. You will tell me that you forgot your bathing suit and I will reassure you that you can rent them there. You will look at me like I am on Mars and we will never discuss renting bathing suits again, ever.




Then we would have lunch. I always say we'll have lunch at the top but its always windy. So we never do. Instead we will spend a total of 10 minutes on the top, realise how darn windy it really is and rush for the gondola. Then we will either eat lunch at some picnic table or go to Lake Minnewanka. I will tell you the story about the Elk that came charging towards us one time while I was there and the crazy tourists who did not take their kids and run but instead grabbed them and threw them closer to the Elk to get a good picture



After Lake Minnewanka I will assess your needs. Are you a shopper or an explorer? If you are a shopper we will go here:


You will be able to purchase anything your heart desires at only 200% the cost of buying it anywhere else. You will however get to see "the Candy Store" and "Lush".

If you are into exploring I would take you here:


The picture may be small but its the Banff Springs Hotel. Here we will try and get as far was we can into the hotel without getting caught. Its pretty fun. I will tell you about the haunted rooms and how I ate my first, and only, escargot there during a french field trip.

After our adventures in shopping or trespassing we would get in the car and head to Lake Louise. I love Lake Louise. The lake is green and amazing. I will dazzle you with my trivia knowledge that "the Shining" was filmed there.


Lake Louise doesn't take very long. So I would then surprise you and say while Lake Louise is awesome there is a lesser known touristy lake that is even better. We would take the short drive to Moraine Lake.


Then I would dazzle you with more of my trivia knowledge and tell you that it is actually Moraine Lake that is on the 20$ Canadian bill.

After Moraine Lake we would make the trip back to Calgary revelling in the Rocky Mountain beauty. I love it!!!!

Sidenote: I stole all these pictures off the web. They are not mine and you can't use them with my permission because I have none (permission, that is).

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

rental bathing suits are disposable. So guess what that might look like?

I still don't understand why anyone would want to leave here, but ????? (maybe because it snowed today?)

Then there is Canmore on the way home from Banff park. More beauty and you don't even have to pay park admission. The 1988 olympic cross country skiing was held there. Then Kananaskis. I could go on and on, but won't.

Bet you can't wait until Christmas EH! Quishy Burrito

Heather said...

You made me so homesick, I'm sick. Really. Sick! I can't wait. I'm going to Banff NEXT WEEKEND!

Anonymous said...

You and my parents think alike. The trip is almost identical to the one that they take every friend or relative to, to show them how wonderful their country is. When you wrote Moraine Lake I just about died. Didn't know others knew about that one!! If anyone wants to know about the good candy stores I can tell you about a few, just be prepared to spend a Moraine Lake Bill to buy very little of it.

Ortensia

Scarlet Panda said...

Two words: road trip.

(I can't go until my Christmas break, but I assume January is an ideal time to go, right?)

Anonymous said...

I'm an explorer who never forgets her swimsuit. I'm in!

Squishy Burrito said...

It just so happens we'll be there in January the absolute best time to be in the mountains.

Anonymous said...

Don't forget Ice Cream in Cochrane. The absolute best! Better than Ben and Jerry's (well maybe anyway).

Squishy Burrito said...

Canmom: this is my tour of Banff. Its a real tour that I have given many many times. We don't go to Canmore or Cochrane on my tour.

Readers: if you want to go to Canmore or Cochrane, see Canmom