Monday, January 30, 2006

So much to say...

First off I'd like to direct you this link. I hope it works. It made me giggle.

We're back from the Great North. It was quite an adventure. You try travelling alone with a toddler, a backpack and a big car seat and tell me about your adventure. AAAHHH!!! I think my arms might just fall right out of their sockets. Oops there goes one now. Thankfully I must have looked pitiful enough and I got help almost every step of the way except in Dulles. Dumb D.C.er's, you think you're too important to help out a weary mom. I especially enjoyed discovering that the airplane from Dulles to Cster was being borded from the outside. That was fun! (note sarcasm)

I did enjoy helping out a little old woman in the Montreal airport as we went through customs/immigration. She asked me to help her fill out the customs form. So here was I, her, Mster, all my stuff trying to read the form in short and slow words for her to understand.

Me: Do you have any weapons?
Kazakistan lady (KL): Huh?
Me: Do you have any guns or knifes?
KL: Huh?
Me: Do you understand me?
KL: No
Me: Do you know the word kill, dead, or murder?
KL: No
Me: hmmm
Me: Do you knowt he word meat?
KL: yes
Me: Using hand gestures as if I'm cutting meat, then holding up my hand, saying "knife".
KL: OH!!! No!!!! no knife!!!

This went on for 15 minutes. Nobody helped us. The immigration people watched us and laughed. Other passengers watched us and laughed. Mster just sat there thinking we were crazy.

I'd like to point out that 80% of the people around me in Montreal spoke french. This tells me that all these years when I've told people that Montreal is more english and Quebec City is more french. I've been wrong.

We stayed on St. Catherine's street/rue. We went to The Bay. Its a department store in Canada. In Calgary the store is 2 floors of boring regular department store stuff including families and older people buying stuff. Nobody in their 20's really shops there. In this Bay everybody was a teenager or young adult and there was a dj spinning on the main floor. Huh?

Those are some stories I can think of now. Perhaps I will have more later.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

I want to add that it was an adventure for all. Mster's love of the "woof, woof" DVD, watched over and over and over again. The continuous crys for the elevator, water (translation, Water fountains in the mall) and the never ending "Mama? Mama? whenever Squishy Burrito was out of site.

Everyone else listening to CANMOM snore was also fun (not).

Sledding in the snow in Rawdon, making a snowman in Granby, and dodging the millions (not exagerating) of potholes which would make any car's suspension fall apart.

Just a few more adventure items to not to forget.

Anonymous said...

Oh ya! The link was definitely one to giggle at.

Ortensia Norton said...

SO glad you have the green card! Hope the headache is over for a long time. Your trip sounds very exciting. I hate hauling carseats. Was it good to go to the Bay?:-) Ah, it has been sold so maybe we will get TARGET!! (is that who bought it?) And yes, dancing to Video killed the Radio star would get funny looks from husbands, but like you implied, what's new?

Good luck with your hiatus. So many fun things to do besides the computer. But I will miss you and your life. I get the feeling very often to stop and some day I'm sure it will stop completely.

TAKE CARE!!!