Thursday, May 05, 2011

Who needs cereal?

I like breakfast. I like to wait a few hours before I eat it in the morning, but I love to eat real breakfast food. I admit I am one of those people that routinely serves breakfast beyond the regular breakfast hours.

With all the yummy choices of breakfast items, my children still love cereal. There HAS to be some healthy alternatives to cereal that can go beyond egg whites, and green shakes. And I'm on a mission to find as many as I can.

A friend of mine gave me this recipe for baked oatmeal. The recipe calls for the baked oats to be eaten warm (from the oven) with warm milk but I've found that I really, really like it cold, with cold milk and strawberries. It really is good. Really. If I don't have fresh strawberries I defrost some frozen ones and add them into the mixture (liquid and all).


Here's the recipe.

 2 1/2 cups combo of quick and old fashioned
 1/2 cup brown sugar
 1 1/2 cup skim milk
 1/4 cup butter, melted
 2 eggs
 2 tsp baking powder
 some salt shakes
 2 tsp vanilla

Combine ingrediants and pour into a greased 9 X 13in pan. Bake for 25-30 minutes at 350F.

Leftovers can be stored in an airtight container in the fridge.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your granola recipe too. It was better the second time when I cooked it for 15 minutes longer and after sitting for a couple of days to completely dry out.