Monday, May 28, 2012

Puffed Wheat Squares



Msters school had an immigration day for the 2nd graders. They each were assigned to be an immigrant and spent the day going through Ellis Island. In addition to dressing up and playing pretend all day (what 7 yr old girl wouldn't love to do this for a school day) they had a potluck lunch where they needed to bring a dish from their heritage. After much thought and consideration, I chose to make Puffed Wheat Squares. I had so many ideas from my friends but I had to pick something easy for me and kid friendly and something that I didn't have to serve hot since I couldn't make it to the school that day.

Here's how you make them...

I found puffed wheat at Sunflower Market. This store reminds me of a less wholesome Whole Foods. The bag was on sale for $1 so it really isn't that expensive to make.


1/2 c margarine or butter
1 c corn syrup
1 c white sugar
1/4 c brown sugar
6 (heaping) Tbsp cocoa
1 tsp vanilla
10 c Puffed Wheat

Combine butter, corn syrup, sugars and cocoa in heavy saucepan.  Bring to boil.  Remove from heat and add vanilla.  Pour over Puffed Wheat.  Mix well and press into greased 9x13 pan.  Makes 24 squares.








They are very similar to a Rice Krispie square. 

No comments: