Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Jambalaya

I've been on a little bit of a canning kick. I'm on a mission to build up some food supply that's easy to prepare.  Cster makes a pretty mean jambalaya so a few saturdays ago we decided to attempt jambalaya. We weren't sure exactly the best way to accomplish this feat. But Cster had some good ideas. He made the jambalaya without cooking everything all the way through and he didn't add the rice.

I canned the jambalaya "soup".

My neighbour took one look at the jar, raised her eyebrows and said, "you have not sold me yet." :)

Last Sunday, I hadn't really made any plans for dinner. Everybody had been gone all day Saturday and there wasn't a super abundance of food to make dinner. Nor was anything taken out of the freezer. I thought this would be a great day to try out the jambalaya.

Cster opened the jar and dumped it in the pot. He added the appropriate amount of rice. (It will be different for every jar because the liquid is not equally distributed). As soon as the rice was cooked, we ate.



The result...IT WORKED!!

The dish was not as good as freshly made jambalaya but it still tasted great. Really great. So for conveniance food, it was PERFECT!

Will we make jambalaya fresh again? Of course. But for those moments when we don't have a dinner plan, we don't have to do take out.


No comments: