Wednesday, April 27, 2011

Laundry Detergent by ME!!


A year or so ago my sister-in-law blogged about making her own laundry detergent. I thought that was an interesting concept but at the time had about 10 bottles of detergent tucked away in my laundry closet and moved on to other important matters in my life, like which child had the balloon first.

Jump forward a year and I couldn't find a laundry detergent deal and I was down to one bottle. I decided it was time to try out the new recipe. IT WORKED!!

Not that I didn't trust her...I just have this trouble with doing new things and changing my pattern and I get so excited when I do something new and it works. So yesterday I went and made a little bit more with my supplies. (Of course because deals always come around I picked up some new detergent yesterday for $1 a bottle but I'm pretty pleased that I have my homemade concotion as a backup when I need something to tie us over till the next deal since my husband has this funny request about wearing clean underwear to work. :)

The Recipe:

1 Cup grated Fels-Naptha soap
1/2 Cup Arm and Hammer Super Washing Soda
1/2 Cup 20 Mule Team Borax

mix

It takes 2 TBSP per load.

2 comments:

gail said...

Ooooh! Excellent. But where on earth do I find "Fels-Naptha" soap? Does it work in high efficiency machines? $1 a bottle? Must be nice - not in Canada - no fair.

Squishy Burrito said...

I got everything at Walmart in the laundry detergent aisle. Fels-Naptha (not in the picture) is in bar form and costs 97 cents. One bar = 2 cups shredded. I googled whether it works on HE machines and it seems that it does but I would read up on it more if I were you.